How to fix a dishwasher that isn’t drying?
Dishwashers are one of the most time-saving and helpful appliances to have at home, getting rid of the need for hand washing and drying while also ensuring super clean dishes. The dishwasher is not only convenient but actually a more eco-friendly way to get dishes clean. All of these benefits make it one of the most used and needed appliances in any home. So, what can you do when your dishwasher stops drying? Let Maydone help.
What do you need to fix a dishwasher?
Dishwashers can be a tricky fix because they are connected to both a power line, a water source and a drain, so you need to manage all three connections while doing repairs. Knowing what you need to look out for when repairing a dishwasher is going to be key to this going well.
- Keep a mop or cleaning supplies handy
- Disconnect from power
- Use proper shoes, gloves, and clothes
- Have a small flashlight to see in small places
- Clear the space where you will be working
- Have your tool kit ready
- Get someone to give you a hand
Tip: One of the best ways of preventing a broken dishwasher is getting your dishwasher installed by a professional to prevent water, power, and drain connection issues.
These are the basics to getting your dishwasher back in shape, now let’s discover what causes the appliance not to dry and fix it together.
Now let’s take a look at the possible causes of your dishwasher problem.
A Thermostat problem
The thermostat is an important piece of the dishwasher that controls the interior temperature, it will indicate to your appliance when to go hot or cold. So, if it breaks your dishwasher won’t know to heat up and dry the dishes.
How do you fix your dishwasher thermostat?
In most dishwasher models you can find the thermostat at the bottom of the dishwasher but you can also check your model manual to be sure. Here, what you do once you have your dishwasher thermostat.
- Use a multimeter on Rx1 mode to test it, you should get a reading of infinity at room temperature, or for example next to a warm light you should get a zero.
- If you read that differ from these, then the thermostat is not working properly and you need to get a replacement
- Order a replacement using the brand, model number, and old piece to be sure you get the right one sent
- Replace it and use the dishwasher again
The heating element is broken
Your dishwasher heating element is the part of the system responsible for increasing the temperature in the dishwasher and helping dry what’s inside. If this part doesn’t work your dishes won’t dry.
How can you replace or fix the heating element in a dishwasher?
- Disconnect the dishwasher from the power source
- Find where your heating element is located, you can check your manual for this
- Use a multimeter in RX1 mode to test if the heating element is working
- If it is then move on to the next cause, if not you can easily order a new heating element with the brand and model number of your dishwasher and replace it yourself
The air disperser doesn’t work
The air disperser is the piece responsible for distributing the hot air in the dishwasher and so it helps to have dry dishes. Like with the heating element you will need to locate, assess, and replace it if needed, luckily it’s usually easier with the air disperser.
How can you replace or fix the air disperser in a dishwasher?
The air disperser is, in most models, inside the dishwasher door, so that’s where you start.
- Remove the door cover or cap to find the air dispenser
- Check to see if it is blocked, damaged, or broken
- If you find an issue then order a new one and replace it.
Remember that if at any moment during repairs you feel like it exceeds your capabilities or comfort zone then you can always call experts to fix your dishwasher, and Maydone is one of the best appliance repair services in the GTA.