Microwaves are one of the most handy appliances in any kitchen, they can be an ally in the most hectic of times and save you from lengthy food preparation right when you need it. However, like any appliance, microwaves have issues that we sometimes need to fix. Let Maydone guide you through the three most common microwave problems and provide practical solutions to get your trusty kitchen companion back to work.
Unresponsive Control Panel
Your microwave’s control panel seems to have a mind of its own, not responding to your touch or button presses.
How To Fix An Unresponsive Microwave Control Panel
- Power Cycle: Disconnect the microwave from the power source and wait for a minute. Then, plug it back in.
This action can trigger a simple reset and can often resolve issues related to temporary glitches in the control panel’s electronics.
Another option is to check your appliance manual for instructions on how to do a factory reset on the microwave.
- Check for Locks: Some microwave models have a control lock feature to prevent accidental operation.
Check your microwave’s user manual to see if your appliance has this feature and how to disable it.
- Clean the Control Panel: Usage and time can cause the control panel to accumulate dirt and grime, leading to unresponsiveness.
Gently wipe the panel with a soft, damp cloth with soap and clear it with another cloth with just water to clear the debris, this could help ensure proper contact with the buttons.
Hating is the whole point of this appliance. Your microwave either cooking food unevenly, leaving some parts cold, or not heating at all is definitely a sign that you need appliance repair tips.
How To Fix Heating Problems On A Microwave
- Check for Microwave-Safe Containers: Always make sure you are using microwave-safe containers.
Containers not designed for microwave use can cause uneven heating or damage to the microwave.
Not only that but other materials can also be unhealthy to use and eat from is they are not microwave-safe.
- Diagnose the Magnetron: Don’t get spooked by the terminology, the magnetron is just the appliance component responsible for generating energy.
If it’s defective, your microwave won’t heat properly. The first thing to do is check your microwave’s manual to locate the magnetron, and if you suspect it’s the source of the problem, get a replacement and install it.
Installation of the new part should be easy, and we recommend you use genuine appliance parts. That’s part of what we do when we repair microwaves and other appliances at Maydone, it ensures compatibility and that your repairs last longer.
- Rotate and Stir: To encourage even heating when using the microwave you can try to rotate the dish during the cooking process.
Additionally, stirring food at intervals helps distribute heat more evenly.
Abnormal Noises or Sparks
Few things can be more unsettling than hearing unusual noises or sparks inside the microwave. So, you are right to be alarmed as it may indicate a potential problem.
How To Fix Abnormal Noises or Sparks On A Microwave
- Look for Foreign Objects: Unplug your appliance and then inspect the interior of your microwave for any loose objects that shouldn’t be there, such as metal scraps burnt food particles, or others.
If you just use the microwave then remove them carefully, or wait to do so, as these can cause sparks or be hot to touch.
- Check the Turntable: If your microwave has a turntable, make sure it’s properly seated on its support.
A misaligned turntable can cause strange noises and impact the cooking process.
- Inspect the Waveguide Cover: The waveguide cover is the protective component inside the microwave, and can sometimes burn or get damaged with use causing noise or sparks to fly.
If you see any signs of damage, it’s crucial you replace the waveguide cover immediately. Check your microwave’s manual for guidance on replacing this component.
Get Cooking With Maydone
A malfunctioning microwave can disrupt your daily routine, but with a bit of troubleshooting, many issues can be resolved without the need for professional assistance.
By following the tips provided by Maydone’s experts for the three most common microwave problems.
- unresponsive control panel,
- uneven heating or no heating, and
- strange noises or sparks
You can save both time and money, ensuring your microwave continues to be a reliable kitchen sidekick.
If the problems persist or if you’re unsure about performing any repairs yourself call your local professional appliance repair service to get your microwave back in action.